Therefore, from December 10, 2017 to December 10, 2018 here are my two resolutions:
1. To post on a weekly basis about a specific skill that I’m working on my figure skating
2. Once a month to post about a new thing I’ve done.
To start things off today, I’m taking a look at what has happened in a year — what I’ve accomplished and what I’m currently really struggling with. So here are The Good and the The Bad.
- Passed my Pre-Bronze Free Style Test (in which I proved that I could do forward and backward crossovers, a spiral, a two footed and one-footed spin, and a waltz jump and salchow (at very simple levels).
- Passed my first Pre-Bronze Ice Dance Test, the Cha Cha.
- Started working on my first, very simple solo program. I’ll be skating it to the Cat Stevens song Moon Shadow.
- Started working on the easiest skills for my Silver Moves in the Field Test — forward outside and inside spirals, forward and backward power pulls and forward and backward cross strokes.
- Spins! For some reason, I am extremely challenged by spinning. For my free style test I was able to eke out 3 rotations of a one-footed spin, but since I bought my new skates, I seem to have regressed backwards. This feels like my biggest current block.
- Jumps. I am starting to be able to do the three simplest jumps — waltz jump, salchow and toe loop, but still have extreme difficult doing them with any speed or getting higher than a little hop in the air. Starting to work on foot position for a loop jump as well, but that one is going to be a very long process.
- Turns at speed in ice dancing. The next two ice dances I am learning, the Swing Dance and the Fiesta Tango, both require a turn called a Mohawk in going from forward to backward. I have a lot of trouble especially on the Fiesta Tango, doing the turn quickly enough and going into the next position well.
- Backward edges. In figures class, I am working on my backward figure eight. That means I have to hold a backward edge for the entire length of a circle, and I am nowhere near that level of balance, control or speed at the moment.
- Yesterday my friend Michelle and I completed December’s New Thing — cooking with bugs. Michelle’s birthday was Friday and mine is today, so we hosted a combination birthday dinner featuring roasted crickets and cricket powder. Blog posted coming shortly!
- Holiday show next Saturday! My “home rink”, Leddy Park, hosts a holiday skating show every year, so next Saturday at 3 pm, the Ladies of Leddy (adult skaters) will be doing our holiday number — Christmas Tango on Ice. Film to follow next week.
- This week I’ll be skating Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and possibly Saturday or Sunday, mostly during public skating sessions — let me know if you feel like joining in!