Sunday, April 15, 2018

One Down, Two to Go

I've been pretty bad about writing, but a good thing about blogging is that it's always there, waiting to be picked up again.  Back on New Year's Day I set up three goals for the year, and I am excited to say that I've hit the first one.  So, it seems like a great opportunity to record what happened with that first goal, and update on the other two as well.

These were my three big goals for 2018 (in black), and some update on what has happened (in blue):

  1. Pass my next two ice dances: Swing Dance and Fiesta Tango, and make some progress on a third, the Willow Waltz.  Been working on the Swing Dance and Fiesta Tango, and am scheduled to take my test for both on May 5. These are the first two ice dances I'm learning that have forward to backward turns in them, and backwards skating elements, so there are lots  of tricky parts to practice over the next three weeks.  
  1. Perform my first-ever solo routine.  I’ll be using the song Moon Shadow by Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens), and it will be a very modest little number.  But it does have three jumps  - a waltz jump, a salchow and toe loop, as well as a one-footed spin, so if I can pull it off, I’ll be thrilled.  DONE!  I skated the Campion Rink Mini-Show on March 31. The vido is below.  It was a very simple little one and a half minute program, but it included some jumps (still more like hops, but it's progress) and my biggest nemesis to date, a one-foot spin. And to my surprise, I really enjoyed doing it.  My hope is to keep working on it to skate it better, and possibly add some more complex elements as I learn them.

  1. Become competent at the three easiest elements of the Adult Silver Moves in the Field Test and  start working on the final three hardest elements.  The easier elements are: Consecutive Outside and Inside Forward Spiral Patterns; Forward and Backward Power Pulls; and Forward and Backward Cross Strokes.  The harder ones are Forward Outside - Backward Inside three turns; Forward Inside to Backward Outside three turns; and the 8 Step Mohawk.  This last goal is super-intimidating for me, which is precisely why I’ve broken it in half mentally to start by focusing on the easier part.  We’ll see how I do. Between getting ready for my solo and my ice dances, this one has pretty much been jettisoned.  My coach, Melody, has also been very busy with both her own skating preparation, and that of her other adult student, Leslie.  They both just competed at Adult Nationals and did really well. Leslie earned a Bronze medal in her division and Melody won Gold in hers!  Once I'm done with the dance tests, though, I'll be back to working on these in earnest.
Here are Leslie, our coach Melody and me at the Campion Show after the show was over.
In the weeks to come I am going to try, once again, to get more regular on posting, and since there are so many things I need to work on there's plenty of material to write about.  That's it for now, except to say that I am always excited to go skating with others, so whether it is something you want to try for the first time, or you haven't done in a while, or you do way better than I do, let me know if you want to go, please.  Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment